The Museum of South Texas History will host the Sunday Speaker Series Online presentation, “Callandret, The Man, The School, The Times,” featuring Sandra Tumberlinson and Lonnie Davis at 2 p.m. on Feb. 21 on Facebook Live.
This presentation is part of the Virtual Pioneer & Ranching Crafts Day programming, which highlights regional pioneers in education, industry and city founding.
Tumberlinson and Davis from the Callandret Black History Museum in San Benito will discuss the history and importance of the Callandret Schoolhouse, a school established in 1952. It was built on land donated by the Callandret family.
Tumberlinson is a founding member of the San Benito Historical Society and the standing Treasurer. She is also a founding member of the Museum of San Benito. She has dedicated her life to the preservation of local history and is on the Board of Directors at Callandret Black History Museum.
Davis is a member of the Village in the Valley Black History and Celebrations Committee and a Board Member of the Callandret Black History Museum of San Benito. His involvement in the Rio Grande Valley community extends from volunteer work with the Westside Center to presentation of Black History to local schoolchildren. Davis was one of the first Black students to graduate from Harlingen High School in 1961.
The presentation will broadcast at facebook.com/MOSTHistory/live. Viewers are encouraged to interact with panelists by posting comments and questions on the live feed. The presentation will also be recorded and posted for public access on the museum’s website at mosthistory.org.
This program is made possible by the generous support from the Carmen C. Guerra Endowment. Mrs. Guerra was committed to educational causes in the Rio Grande Valley. This named endowment was created by her family to honor her memory and to continue providing educational opportunities for the community.
About Museum of South Texas History
The Museum of South Texas History is accredited by the American Alliance of Museums. It is located downtown Edinburg at 200 North Closner Boulevard on the Hidalgo County Courthouse square. Founded in 1967 as the Hidalgo County Historical Museum in the 1910 Hidalgo County Jail, the museum has grown over the decades through a series of expansions to occupy a full city block. In 2003, following the completion of a 22,500 square foot expansion, the museum was renamed the Museum of South Texas History to better reflect its regional scope. Today, the museum preserves and presents the borderland heritage of South Texas and Northeastern Mexico through its permanent collection and the Margaret H. McAllen Memorial Archives and exhibits spanning prehistory through the 20th century. For more information about MOSTHistory, including becoming a FRIEND, visit MOSTHistory.org, like us on Facebook and Instagram, follow on Twitter, find on YouTube or call (956) 383-6911.
Photo 1: Sandra Tumberlinson
Photo 2: Lonni Davis